Goals of Our Athletics Program
1. Foster personal virtue through physical activity.
2. Cultivate an understanding of the place of physical activity in education and in life.
3. Teach an appreciation of how ‘the rules’ in sports are paralleled by (i) ‘the laws’ of the physical universe, (ii) ‘the rights’ of the person in community, (iii) ‘the duties’ owed by the citizen to society, (iv) ‘the norms’ of virtuous and holy living, and (v) ‘the demands’ of Sacred Liturgy (cf. Pope Benedict XVI, The Spirit of the Liturgy).
4. Give students an ethic and experience of team-work, cooperative and collaborative success, and an appreciation of the importance of complementary roles and responsibilities where “unequal things are treated unequally,” including winning and losing (cp. Aristotle, Ethics).
5. Accomplish 1-5 (above) through an experiential and reflective pedagogy.